The christening of the USS Los Angeles (ZR-3) at Bolling Field, Washington, D.C, on the 25th November 1924. Built for the US navy by the Zeppelin factory it served as an experimental, observational and training facility for the navy, eventually logging 172,400 nautical miles of travel. The longest serving of all the airships commissioned by the US navy it was finally decommissioned in 1939.
Image courtesy of the Bain Newspaper Service Collection at the Library Of Congress at Washington D.C.
Bernetta Adams Miller (1884-1972), pioneering aviatrix, flying the Moisant-Blériot monoplane from the Moisant Aviation School in Mineola, Long Island sometime around 1912. Test pilot for the Moisant Aviation School, she served on the front in World War I as a volunteer for the Women's Overseas Service League Infantry Division and then the YMCA were she delivered food to the troops, frequently under fire. She was wounded at least once, but remained at the front through the Argonne offensive and to the end of the war. In 1919 she was awarded the Croix De Guerre by the French government. From 1941 to 1948 she worked at the The Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey. Her duties, as first secretary to the director of the Institute, meant she was responsible for keeping visitors from disturbing Albert Einstein.
Peter Henry Emerson (1856–1936) was a British doctor and photographer active in the latter half of the nineteenth century. Most famous for his naturalistic photographs of life on the Norfolk Broads in East Anglia, Britain.
He produced seven photographic books detailing life and work among the natural beauty of the Norfolk Broads. Below is a small selection of Photogravure prints taken from his various publications.
The Old order and the new 1886
Ricking the reed, first published in: Life and landscape on the Norfolk Broads 1886.
Gathering Lillies 1886.
Quanting the marsh hay, Norfolk Broads, England 1886.
Image courtesy of the Library of Congress at Washington D.C.
Head house, City Point, South Boston, Mass. 1906
Head House was named after the fact that it sat on the head of a peninsula reaching out into Boston harbour. Designed in 1897 by Edmund M Wheelwright the restaurant and bathhouse was a popular tourist attraction at the turn of the 19th century.
Image courtesy of The Bain News Service collection at the Library Of Congress
Aerial view of The Astor Hotel circa 1916.
Erected in 1904 on the west side of Broadway between 44th and 45th Streets the Astor Hotel was touted as a successor to the Waldorf-Astoria, with ornate rooms and a grand roof terrace it was well placed to take advantage of the emerging theatre district of Broadway. Sadly the hotel was demolished in 1967 to make way for the 54-storey skyscraper One Astor Plaza.
A man reads the headlines of the Chicago Tribune at a local news stand. The visible headline relates to the United States navy submarine S-48, which went aground in bad weather on Jaffrey Point, January 30, 1925.
Image courtesy of the Library Of Congress at Washington D.C.
Photograph shows a rear view of a statue of George Washington by Horatio Greenough in front of the U.S. Capitol building, with its dome extension under construction. A group of sightseers stand nearby, taken July 11 1863.